Modem Problems - Now No More!

Michael Harold mike.harold at bigpond.com.au
Sat Aug 11 10:35:32 BST 2007

Hi The List!
      That's right - my Modem problems have been fixed - at last!
And of course the 'fix' was easy. Also, of course, as a newby I
didn't know what I was looking at so missed what is now the obvious.
      The Linmodems technician with whom I had been communicating lives
in Switzerland and had been on holiday last week, so only
picked up my e-mails in the last couple of days.
      The cure he gave me? Open Terminal > at the prompt type
'sudo wvdial'and 'enter' to execute and dial out to the ISP.
(THAT easy!)
      Leave the terminal open (minimize if required). At the end of the
session go back into the same terminal session and use 'Control C' to
close the connection.
      Testing that I found that both Firefox and Evolution were fully
operational - AT LAST! So now I can really start using Ubuntu, even with
the impedance of four and a half kilometres of copper wire that make the
connection   s-o   s-l-o-w  ! ! (by comparison say to radio)

     The above is by no means any poor reflection on any members of this
list, in fact the opposite. As I have intimated several times, the
helpful companionship that I have experienced in the last few weeks is
better by far than the years spent being alone and wary of expense and
possible compromise under Microsoft. Thank you.

     That said, I am now in possession of a pile of printed e-mails that
were required to transfer information from one OS to the other. This so
that accurate use was made of the directions in them.
      Properly ordered and described in sequence in a single document is
something that I can now do, so that any one else with the same dial-up
modem problem will have access to that local knowledge.

     I have always had a wish to do some development work but would need
quite a bit of mentoring to get started. Anything local?

Regards

Mike H