Ubuntu Lite

David Collins dcolli22 at csc.com.au
Fri Aug 10 00:16:33 BST 2007

Damian,

I'm new to Ubuntu so my experience is limited, but I am running Ubuntu 7.04
as a server at home on specs - 1.1 Ghz, 384Mb Ram, 80Gb HDD.

I am also running Xubuntu 7.04 on my own desktop PC at home (1.1 Ghz, 256
Mb RAM, 40 Gb partition) and it is really nice - I love the simplicity and
speed of Xubuntu.  (It does lack a 'few bells and whistles' that Ubuntu
has, but I'd rather have the speed.  In the end, it comes down to your
personal preference.)

Regards,
David Collins

             Damian Nolan
             <djnolz at aapt.net.
             au>                                                        To
             Sent by:                  ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
             ubuntu-au-bounces                                          cc
             @lists.ubuntu.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Ubuntu Lite
             10/08/2007 01:49
             AM

I have an old(er) laptop lying around at home and wanted to get Ubuntu
up and running on that, but it seems that even Edgy was a bit much for it.
I read somewhere about there being a project around called Ubuntu Lite,
Which aimed to do the same things as Ubuntu, plus allow it to be run on
low-end machines.
Everytime I try and search for it, I seem to get nowhere. The "official"
homepage doesnt exist anymore (http://www.ubuntulite.org) and when I
find instructions on how to install it, it tells me that I need a server
disc to be able to do it.
I have downloaded 3 server discs, and none of them seem to boot when I
try to boot from them!
I somehow get the feeling that they are not being burned right, or they
are missing something in the first place. Even the ones that I
downloaded from the official page did the same thing.
Am I missing something?

BTW, Laptop spec: 850Mhz, 512Mb Ram, 40Gb HDD