Microsoft.Net framework

Michael Davies michael at msdavies.net
Tue Aug 7 11:22:48 BST 2007

On 07/08/07, Tom Schinckel <gunny01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 18:06 +1000, James Purser wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 18:00 +1000, david wrote:
> > > Hello ubuntus
> > > I have recently signed up for a trading platform which I now, have found
> > > out requires the "Microsoft.Net framework". There are no links to use
> > > any Linux software. Is that It? Does anyone know If I can run this stuff
> > > on feisty.
> > > David
> >
> > David there is a Linux version of the .Net framework called Mono. Its
> > not complete however its just about there. Checkout www.mono.net
>
> I don't think you can run .net binaries in Mono, you need to recompile
> with mcs.
>
> You *might* be able to install .net in WINE.
>
> Stress *might*.

.NET is just like Java - the "binaries" are just bytecode and
theoretically will run on any .NET  Framework implementation -
Microsoft's .NET or Rotor, the FSF's Portable.NET or Novell's Mono
project.  Of all of these, only the last 2 are of use for Ubuntu, and
Mono is most likely further along, and your best chance of getting
something running well.

The biggest issue will be the GUI.  If this is an web-driven
application, you should be fine.  If it's a rich client desktop
application, be prepared for some "challenging workarounds".

Alternatively, you could go for a real copy of Windows running on top
of VMWare.  That'll work 100%, albeit less free.

Hope this helps,
--
Michael Davies           "Do what you think is interesting, do somthing that
michael at the-davies.net    you think is fun and worthwhile, because otherwise