installing Feisty, but don't ask how. Aptitude "manual or howto files.

Simon Wong simon at dt.net.au
Thu Apr 26 04:55:40 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 19:09 +1000, Karl Bowden wrote:
> The main difference in using aptitude over apt-get is when installing
> packages aptitude by default includes 'recommended dependencies' as
> 'required dependencies'. Where as apt-get just shows you a list of the
> recommends and suggestes.

Another reason I like aptitude is that it logs all changes (like
Synaptic) in /var/log/aptitude.

If you think you've broken something when you installed something new
recently you can review what has been installed.

The other reason (not relevant to Tony) is that it is better for remote
administration compared to Synaptic (since many servers do not have a
graphical desktop running).

--
Simon Wong <simon at dt.net.au>
Dependable Technologies Pty Ltd