evolution versus thunderbird

Mark M Lambert mark+linux.ubuntu at marklambert.net
Thu Apr 12 11:30:19 BST 2007

I use Thunderbird on my laptop, and Evolution on the big box. I only use
Evo on the big box because of the closer integration with Gnome (for
Beagle etc), otherwise I wouldn't use it. I never use the calendar -
syncing between computers becomes a nightmare, I find it easier to keep
a diary in my pocket. My main beef with Evo is that I have a lot of
folders on my IMAP server, and Evo insists on checking every single
folder for new mail and this takes forever (plus wasted bandwidth).
Thunderbird has an option to mark a folder to check / not check on a per
folder basis.
At the end of the day, I conduct most of my  e-mailing via a web
interface (Fastmail.fm)
So my answer to your question? If you want to keep it simple, and you
are used to Thunderbird, stick with Thunderbird.

Cheers
Mark