Problem with graphic card.

Simon Wong simon at dt.net.au
Wed Apr 11 00:34:24 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 15:47 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> Yes, but if his video is borked, he can get a root prompt by booting in
> "recovery" mode - which is likely to be the only viable way to boot in
> these circumstances anyway ...

True, then we should give him instructions on how to do that.

Something I learnt from my mate jdub (Jeff Waugh) on the SLUG list, if
you're going to help someone, help them a lot!

So, SMOK, boot the "recovery" option off your boot menu when you reboot
the machine and that will take you to "single user mode" and you will be
logged in as root.

Be very careful, it's easy to make a mistake that will hose your system!

> Assuming that the boot actually succeeds at all - in my experience, when a
> graphics card is misconfigured, Ubuntu often fails to fall back gracefully
> to a login prompt, and simply hangs. The only way out then is to hit the

Yes, I have to admit that happens for me since I am using the ATI
proprietary driver - or maybe it's the vga=791 option?

> power button, or know about alt-sysrq magic codes ...

and who does?! :-)

--
Simon Wong <simon at dt.net.au>
Dependable Technologies Pty Ltd