dial-up to Internode

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 22 12:17:20 BST 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 20:32:18 +0930
Karl Goetz <kamping_kaiser at internode.on.net> wrote:

> >     On the Internode site they suggest using a PPP Package (which is
> >     unavailable from their site) with a file pap-secrets that contains
> >     "username internode password" - why would they have the word "internode"
> >     in something that looks like a simple username/password login
> >     details file?
> >     Anyway, hope I'm making a little sense - and hear from someone soon.
> >     Thanks, Thorsten
> >
> I didnt have issues with wvdial. this was on laptops with LT modems, and
> tehy work fine with dapper.
> kk

Another way, which I used to use on Debian and still used on Warty, Hoary
and Breezy before I got my adsl connection is to configure using:

sudo pppconfig

If you have no /dev/modem file, just specify the serial port - COM 1
is /dev/ttyS0 , COM2 /dev/ttyS1  and so on...

When it asks for the provider name, you can leave it blank, assuming you
are only using one ISP. Then after finishing the configuration, the
command "pon" connects you, and "poff" disconnects you. If you want
clickable buttons, just make a couple of launchers either on the desktop or
the panel for those two commands ( I used to use the built in buttons on
the gkrellm system monitor app, but either way will work ).

Make sure your user is a member of the "dip" and "dialout" groups to avoid
having to use sudo to dial out.

Peter