Create a custom shortcutkey

Leigh Ridgway leigh.ridgway at bigpond.com
Wed Oct 25 12:50:21 BST 2006

> Hello,
>
> I know that if i want to create a custom shortcutkey on keyboard. I must go
> to 'gconf-editor' in terminal.
> After i go into 'Configuration Editor', i do not know how to find out my
> programs, i do not know where it locate. Can someone tell me. The program i
> gonna find is a 'XMMS Player', is a music player.
> By default, it only point to Rhythmbox player. How can i change it?
>
> Thank
>
> --
> smithveg

Ok, I don't know how to tell gnome not to use rythmbox as the default
music player, but I *DO* know how to add new keyboard shortcuts:

1. In gconf-editor, open up apps/metacity/global_keybindings
2. You will find entries there called run_command_1 through to
run_command_12.
3. Open one of those and type in a keyboard shortcut i.e.
"<Control><Alt>R"
4. open up apps/metacity/keybinding_commands
5. You will find command_1 through command_12, which magically
correspond to those other entries
6. Pick the matching entry, and enter the command to run (in this case
"xmms")

VIOLA!