Query on IPSTAR Satellite Modem

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 24 13:33:04 BST 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:49:02 +0930
squareyes <squareyes at internode.on.net> wrote:

> Hi, I live in a non broadband area, and am checking out HBIS subsidized
> satelite connection with ACTIV8me. Does anyone know of any problems
> with the IPSTAR Satellite Modem with Ubuntu?.  Unfortunately for what I
> can afford ($29.50 / month)they have a download limit of 500meg, which
> really defeats the purpose of the available speed. Charges for excess
> are 8 cents a meg.
>
> Sorry for the free add, but may be useful for someone who is unaware.
> http://www.activ8me.net.au/

looks like they only support Windows - at least that seems to be implied
by the "Requirements" on
http://www.activ8me.net.au/default.asp?contentID=547

On the other hand, they mention using a router to  share the connection so
perhaps that isn't relevant, as long as the modem will connect to a
router or switch without software drivers etc. ( i.e. will it work with
straight ethernet connections, like an adsl router/modem ? )

http://www.ipstar.com.au/en/user_terminal.html

Seems to suggest that it just plugs in to ethernet/LAN if I read it
correctly ( by the way, they use an incredibly stupid low-contrast
grey-on-white font on their pages which is *really* hard to read!)

500 MB/month is pretty tragic .... still, anything is an improvement on
slow dialup I guess :)

Peter