Software Preferences Error

Karl Goetz kamping_kaiser at internode.on.net
Sun Oct 22 03:41:27 BST 2006

smithveg wrote:
> Ok, I'm not very sure the command you give me, but i'm using the
> following command to solve my problems,
> sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
> Then, i delete the wine path, then i redo again, not i had wine installed.
>
> Can you had me a little bits explain in the line that you gave me just
> now, i have a background from microsoft dos, i think i could
> understand it,
> sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.orig
> sudo mv suorces.list /etc/apt/sources.list
> -what is orig
.orig, its an arbitrary extension to say 'this was the original file'
> -what is mv
move file
> -why must run 2 command together
first one moves the sources.list you already have aside, so if something
goes wrong its been backed up.
the second one moves the new sources.list into place.

> Ok, the above is i needs to clarify something, now, i explan what i
> had done.
> I had wine installed, and i try to run the command to install the .exe
> application.
> I follow the instruction here,
> http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/#exe

you dont need to install the debs manually. thats what synaptic exists for.
> Like this,
> wine /home/smith/bs106.exe
> it can be installed, seems done. But i have 2 questions.
> -i can not find the file, how to find the hidden file?
applications you install go into a hidden directory in your home.
~/.wine (~ means "in your home directory"). click on Places (menu at the
top of the screen), tehn 'Home Folder", then on "View" -> "Show hidden
files", lots of directories/files appear with '.'s in their name. dont
delete them! find the one called .wine, double click and explore.
> -why must i put the .exe in home, before i run it.
you can only install .exes for yourself (unless you want to play around
a bit getting them shared, but i don't think your there yet).
> How about if i want to keep it in others drive, and execute it through
> a path. (in places->computer: i see a home folder, file system, DATA,
> hd5, MEDIA)
you could install into a shared space, but lets worry about getting the
system working first :)

> Thank for all the replies and helped.

PS
Please make sure you "Reply all", so the reply goes to teh list as well :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz
The buck stops there -> $