au secours

Andre Mangan andremangan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 06:30:05 BST 2006

Hello to the good folk who tried to help in identifying equivalent or better
programs listed in my email sent yesterday that will work in Ubuntu Linux.

Results so far:

   1. There were no equivalents known for Mailwasher Pro.
   2. Re Message Tag, this is not the same as asking the recipient of an
   email message for a receipt.  This program returns a receipt to the sender
   automatically.  The sent message is clearly marked as being tagged and the
   recipient is generally aware that the message is tagged.  None of the
   recipients of my emails have ever been bothered by it.  A very handy program
   for checking that distant itinerant friends are alive and well.  There is an
   off switch, if needed, so that not all messages are tagged.  I did load
   Thunderbird as you suggested, Joh but it was not what I was looking for.
   3. PedX - nothing known.
   4. HTML Protector, yes it does generate code as you described,
   Draicone (20%82%A5%etc).  It does a lot more than that - you can encrypt
   your whole web page or just your images, disable copying or just have a
   window pop up when trying to copy to say "Please Respect Copyright" or any
   other message you want to impart (this is easy to do with a simple
   JavaScript).  It is not foolproof, it can be hacked but it will stop many a
   would-be thief.  Having a program like that beats having to write a lot of
   JavaScript code yourself.

I came to use HTML Protector and Message Tag after someone alerted me about
a year ago that an article well-known as belonging on our web page had been
seen on a web page in Victoria.  A check revealed that it was indeed so -
our article had been lifted, code and all without acknowledgement and
without permission.  I sent an email to the owner of that page to advise him
that such an act was in breach of Australian and international copyright
laws and that his action could lead to prosecution.  It would have been very
easy for him to claim that the email was never received if the matter had
proceeded (the material was withdrawn promptly) and that is where Message
Tag comes in.  With tagging I had proof that the message had been opened at
its destination.

There were no responses regarding scanners, fax programs or Logitech
QuickCam IM.  Should I exercise more patience ?

Sincerely,

Andre