cheap 3D graphics card

Matthew Hannigan mlh at zip.com.au
Sat Nov 25 10:01:06 GMT 2006

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 12:08:00PM +1100, Mark M Lambert wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I want to get a cheap 3D graphics card, something under $250. The
> current issue of Atomic magazine has a comparison of 12 cards under
> $500, but doesn't say if the drivers for Linux are crap or not. Anyone
> got any suggestions?

As others have written, you probably need a proprietry driver
to get really good 3d.  Depends what you want it for though,
I've heard the latest intels are not that bad.

The card I have is a Leadtek Nvidia 6600gt, it was at a
sweet spot when I bought it; it's now down to $135 at some
places.

You'll have to tell us what you want it for though for
us to really advise you...

Matt