cheap 3D graphics card

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Nov 25 07:27:25 GMT 2006

On Saturday 25 November 2006 12:08, Mark M Lambert
<mark+linux.ubuntu at marklambert.net> wrote:
> I want to get a cheap 3D graphics card, something under $250. The
> current issue of Atomic magazine has a comparison of 12 cards under
> $500, but doesn't say if the drivers for Linux are crap or not. Anyone
> got any suggestions?

3D in Linux is unfortunately not a straightforward decision. Firstly, you want
to be examining the chipset, not the card itself. The market is dominated by
ATI and Nvidia, two companies who refuse to share their specs with the free
software community. This means that for reliable 3D you need to load a binary
driver straight into your kernel, which carries a range of risks. With that
said, Nvidia drivers are widely respected. ATI has been lifting its game in
recent months, but they still trail far behind Nvidia.

What do you intend to use the card for? If it is not for gaming in GNU/Linux,
you should be able to get away with anything. There are competent
non-proprietary drivers for ATI and Nvidia chipsets, if all you want is 2D.

--
"I always believe ultimately that we should think of it as being like
politics. Choice in operating systems is kind of confusing, But it is better