Ubuntu Forums Loco Offering

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Thu Nov 23 12:09:27 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 22:14, Michael James <mikej01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like there is enough support for both a forum and a mailing list.

While I do not outright oppose two floors for discussion, I am also wary about
splintering the community.

A compromise might be to subscribe this list to a mail archive[1]. The more
the merrier, I say, but I do have a preference for Gmane[2]. Gmane provides a
forum-like experience on a mailing list. Users can choose to read and
interact with the list via various means, including threaded or flat Web
interfaces, or an NNTP newsreader. There are even RSS feeds available.

To give an example, I administer a list for the Ubuntu-l10n-en_GB team[3]. As
can be seen, there are a range of options to access the list, and people can
respond to messages in a similar manner to a Web forum. The result is a
brilliant meld of the mailing list and Web forums concepts, with no division
or dilution of community.

I would advise that the admin of this list subscribe it to Gmane, and arrange
for the archives to be imported.

[1] http://gmane.org/links.php
[2] http://gmane.org/
[3] http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.translators.en

--
"Not throwing out the baby with the bath-water doesn't mean that you cannot
improve the system. I'm only arguing against stupid people who think they