Ubuntu Forums Loco Offering

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 12:27:32 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 20:23 +1100, Cefiar wrote:
> I personally hate most web forums, mainly because they are only usable if you
> have a net connection at the time. I have read many an email while I am
> offline, composed many replies, sending my emails when back online. I know a
> lot of poeple who do that while travelling, wether on public transport, or on
> airlines. With a web forum, you can't do that, and to a lot of people time is
> very precious.

Another related bit is dealing with "unread" posts/mails. While web fora
usually have a "posts since your last visit", that doesn't really cover
some useful things like being able able to mark a mail unread so you
remember to look at it again later.

The tools that a real mail client has to manage things are in my
experience a lot better than web fora. This doesn't mean that a forum
couldn't have them, but I'm yet to see one.

That said, a mailing list probably wouldn't work for something as large
as the full Ubuntu Forums. NNTP anyone? ;)

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"Sir could we take a break, my intelligence circuits seem to have
melted" -- Kryton (Red Dwarf - Justice)