Messy installation...

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 15 12:42:24 GMT 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:47:16 +0800
Dave Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au> wrote:

> My system has 3 drives, with XP (2 partitions) on drive a,
> Mandriva 2006 on drive b, and
> a bit of a mess on drive c with a 23GB ext3 (hdc1) partition, a
> 1.9GB linux swap (hdc3)
> partition, a 43GB empty partition and an 80GB XP (hdc5) partition.

[snips]

I think I need more coffee to understand your description of the
situation :) But it's nearly midnight, so please make allowances ;-)

Can you post the output of

sudo fdisk -l           and

 df -h

( assuming you can boot into your other linux install)

Otherwise you might get the same output by booting the live CD and running
those commands from the terminal that way.

Did you mean "drives" in the linux sense ( i.e. separate hard drives) or
the Windows sense ( partitions) ? I'm assuming the former, in which case
your Windows partitions would be something like /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 if
they are both primary... and I'm assuming that the bootable Windows
partition is /dev/hda1 .

Unless you want to reconfigure lilo on the Mandriva install ( does
Mandriva still use lilo? ) , it might be better to use Ubuntu's grub
bootloader and install it to the mbr on /dev/hda to boot all systems - but
the output of the commands I suggested might help us to get a clearer
picture of what is actually going on.

Peter