Showcasing Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Fri May 12 12:12:28 BST 2006

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 17:13, Andrew <andrew at swinndesign.com> wrote:
> I have already considered xgl/compiz but unfortunately I will not have a
> pc with enough oomph to pull that one off.

At CeBIT we were demonstrating XGL (via a Kororaa LiveCD) on a $300 IBM
ThinkCentre. The hardware was intended for ordinary office use, and hence was
very modest. The graphics chipset, the most vital part for XGL, was an
embedded Intel type that siphoned memory from system RAM.

This enabled us to demonstrate transparency (even with videos), animations and
the cube effect when changing desktops. Spectators were very impressed when
we told them that this can all be achieved on an el-cheapo box. Microsoft has
been trying to convince the populace that you'll need the latest and greatest
hardware to make use of the special effects in Vista. At CeBIT, we were able
to tell people that they are able to do it all on their current machines, and
that it'll arrive much sooner than Vista.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

			The world's shortest poem: