Formal apology.

Robert Stoffers rstoffers at gmail.com
Fri May 5 15:15:11 BST 2006

celtic at sairyx.org wrote:
> Dear Solutions First; the Ubuntu-AU team,

<snip>

> Solutions First purchased the domain name for ubuntu.com.au in mid-2005;
> much before the Ubuntu-AU team was even thought of. They did this as a
> preventive measure; other people, such as domain squatters, might
> otherwise purchase it.

Whist its nice that Solutions First grants us the ability for now to use
the domain name, if things go sour we may end up in a situation where we
have to fight for the right to use the domain name and even then we
might not win. This makes me uneasy, and is an example of the kind of
control and influence that this one company has within the team, even if
they don't intend on it.

> Once the idea for establishing a Web presence for the Australian Team
> was formed, our sights were set on obtaining appropriate domains;
> ubuntu.com.au was an obvious sight. A short email to Solutions First,
> and very simply, the credentials to access the domain's configuration,
> and they agreed to keep the renewal fees on their behalf. This is a
> credit to the FOSS world, as it has been agreed that they would ensure
> their promise in `good faith' - a long-standing policy that I believe
> everyone is keen to uphold.

I'm glad that up until now Solutions First have been great to deal with
and happy to help us out. I'm also glad that they are paying for the
renewal fees on the domain, though they could still do this if they were
to hand it over to the project too. Again this policy != a signed
contract or any other legal standing, and could turn sour for us at the
sole discretion of Solutions First.

> Some people have disagreed with Sol1 retaining official `ownership' of
> the domain. Others have gone so far as to criticise Solutions First of
> having ulterior motives for doing this, and for wanting to use the
> domain to further their own business ends.

We haven't even been able to discuss this in an open manor without being
threaten with legal action, whether they are joking or not. Already I am
considering pulling out of the Australian loco team due to these
threats, such conflict of interest is not good for any team.

> This is a completely unfair criticism of an organisation that has only
> responded with kind intentions and an attitude that matches the
> world-wide Free and Open Source Software movement.

Again the best laid out intentions can always turn sour and if this were
to happen we would be much worse off as a result.

> For this, I apologise, on behalf of myself, and the Australian Ubuntu
> team.

I believed I had a reasonable issue that I felt should be bought up and
discussed openly by the team. I don't feel the need to apologize for
this and I don't remember the team ever reaching such a conclusion either.

Regards,

Robert Stoffers