An Open Letter to the Ubuntu-au Members

GrAnT GaLbRaiTh manicka at ubuntu.com
Fri May 5 11:43:10 BST 2006

On 5/5/06, Paul Schulz <pschulz01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. Dealing with Businesses and Government.
>
> How and who can Australian organisations deal with when it comes to
> advice on free/libre open source stategic ICT policy planning and
> development.
>
> This is the first step that any large organisation will go though.
>
> Linux Australia is one such organisation and there are probably
> others, but how can we put Ubuntu on the table for all the right
> reasons (rather than a negotiation lever against Microsoft).

This statement concerns me greatly. I don't believe that it should be our
groups role to act as a go between for Australian businesses. Surely this
implies that organisations who come to us for advice about free/libre open
source software would also be looking for contacts within the industry to
make it happen. I think Rob is right, this smells fishier by the minute.

--

Grant Galbraith
manicka at ubuntu.com