local distribution status

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 04:31:54 BST 2006

On 29/06/06, David Symons <ubuntu at liberatedcomputing.net> wrote:
>  On 6/29/06, Toby Anderson <toby.anderson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > that's great, but all the upgrade instructions I've come accross assume
> you have a broadband connection. How would you upgrade from breezy to dapper
> using a cd from shipit?
> Hi Tony,
>
> You can't.  Shipit send you the Desktop CD only and it only includes a small
> apt repository for installing things like build-essential and its
> dependencies once you've done the install from LiveCD mode.
>
> You'd need to download and burn the altnernate CD in order to do an upgrade
> from CD.  Yes I realise the irony, I've seen some angst about this already -
> it will be interesting to see how big it gets.  Even so, if Canonical really
> needed to save costs by shipping only one CD, I feel they made the right
> choice.  Particularly from a marketing perspective, which is what shipit
> really is about.

Ahh I didn't know this.. (I wondered why there was only one CD in my
Dapper CD packs)
If anyone doesn't have access to the broadband/bandwidth they need to
do this, I'm happy to download and snail mail the correct CD to anyone
that needs it (providing I don't have to send too many off, I don't
have a billionaires backing when I do that) ;-)

--
www.modmeup.net
Ubuntu Dapper 6.06