Summary of Fortnightly Meeting - June 27th 2006

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed Jun 28 12:45:43 BST 2006

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 21:29, James Purser <purserj at k-sit.com> wrote:
> I'm going to go with Sridhar on this one. Australian English, despite
> its many differences in terms of slang usage, is still too close to UK
> English to be considered a different dialect.
>
> America has had a couple of hundred years more to branch away from the
> trunk line that Australia has.

Yes. I strongly believe that one of the main reasons for the encroachment of
en_US onto the rest of the world is that there is no effective
counter-balance. How can there be, when there are so many regional variants?
I see little reason for them when they are so similar. As James has pointed
out, their main differences are in their slang. This has no bearing on a
project like Ubuntu, which should not be using slang in its translations at
all.

As the old axiom goes, 'united we stand, divided we fall'.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"The most effective step that you can take to help protect yourself from
malicious hyperlinks is not to click them. Rather, type the URL of your
intended destination in the address bar yourself."
  - Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 833786