Printing Woes

Martin Visser martinvisser99 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 05:49:03 BST 2006

>From googling on the net your Asante bridge possibly only uses
AppleTalk over IP to communicate via Ethernet. This may be tricky to
get working via Ubuntu. Can you confirm whether you think this is the
case? (From your Mac is the connection to the Asante showing AppleTalk
at all?)

You can make Linux talk to AppleTalk (eg
http://gdr.free.fr/linux2.html ) but these days it isn't included out
of the box with most distros. (Appletalk is getting rather ancient :-)
 )

If it isn't using Appletalk we might need some more config info (you
can use http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/ to upload some screenshots ). Also
you might be able to confirm the exact model number for your bridge.

On 6/22/06, elaine <coolowl at hotkey.net.au> wrote:
> Or is that non-printing woes? :-O
>
> I've asked both the Ubuntu web forum and the Scribus list and so far my
> HP Laser 5MP sits and broods and the printing does not get done.
>
> So maybe a lista here can offer some more advice.
>
> I run Ubuntu Breezy on a Mac PowerBook. The HP laser has a serial
> connection which is converted to Ethernet by an Asante bridge. Usually
> (when running Mac OS) I just hook up to Ethernet port, start printer and
> when it's booted, start the bridge and print.
>
> Reading the instructions Mark Rais put up on FreeSoftwareMagazine, I had
> yet another attempt at printing. I set the printer then the bridge
> *then* started up in Ubuntu. What happens with the bridge is, if it
> fails to detect a computer, it just never connects (it sees the printer
> but not the computer), just flicks a light but never is able to make
> that connection. So I re-started the printer then the bridge and it did
> not make one bit of difference.
>
> The printing whatever in Ubuntu sees the printer alright. I have some
> screenshots here but I see the list does not accept graphics. If there's
> one or more on this list who can offer advice, I'll happily send the
> screen shots off-list.
>
> I believe it's some issue with the bridge. I'm interested to know what
> would solve that.
>
> >From my reading so far this is not a beginner's forum and I wouldn't
> bother this forum if I could have found the answer somewhere else.
>
> Elaine in Deception Bay
> registered Linux user 419009

Regards, Martin

Martin Visser