List etiquette

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Jun 17 03:54:46 BST 2006

On Saturday 17 June 2006 12:31, ben <ben at cvrse.com> wrote:
> > Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > As you should have noticed, I changed the subject header when posting
> > the original message.
>
> which is the incorrect way to start a new thread. which is what you
> wanted todo as you were addressing the whole list and not just the one
> who you saw as the offender in this thread, and i fail to see how this
> off shoot thread will return to anything todo with windows free
> laptops. so if a user is to ignore the windows thread as its of no
> interest to them they will almost miss out on your views.

What is the difference between completely changing the subject header and
posting a new message? How do e-mail clients (or the list) recognise that the
message was created from a reply to a thread? It looks to me like the
clients/list are trying to be to clever for their own good.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look
respectable." - John Kenneth Galbraith