Windows Free Notebook List

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Fri Jun 16 10:06:08 BST 2006

On Friday 16 June 2006 18:42, Andrew <andrew at swinndesign.com> wrote:
> > Rather than single out Microsoft, would it be more preferable to used
> > 'Retails which do  and don't supply laptops with an operating system.'
>
> The page is now at
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/Projects/NotebooksWithoutOperatingSys
>tem

I must disagree with this move. Some Microsoft OEM agreements specify that a
vendor ships their systems with an operating system. This is why you see Dell
shipping their N-series computers with FreeDOS.

Isn't it a good thing if a vendor ships their systems with a free operating
system? I personally would be more likely to purchase a computer that ships
with a distro of GNU/Linux, even if it costs a little more because of OEM
deals with distro maintainers. Most major distro vendors have some sort of
OEM programme.

If a hardware vendor is willing to ship with a GNU/Linux distro, it shows that
they support it. Even if it isn't your preferred distro, it is a good
indication that your distro of choice will work with that hardware. We should
be rewarding such vendors, not blacklisting them.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

            Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.