Fwd: Laptopz sans MS

Joel Stanley joel.stanley at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Jun 15 15:31:44 BST 2006

On 6/15/06, Peter Schwenke <peter at bluetoad.com.au> wrote:
> Elaine de Saxe wrote:
> > Apple do. Mind you, you'll get a copy of Tiger but then you can dual
> > boot and have all the good things both coming and going ;-)
> >

> I'm looking at a new laptop and had thought about the MacBooks.   There
> seems to  be a bit of playing around required to get it to work
>
> http://desrt.mcmaster.ca/macbook.xhtml
> http://bin-false.org/?p=17
> http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/HOWTO
> http://modular.math.washington.edu/macbook/
>
> I had decided against it - but you have me thinking about it again...

as someone who brought a laptop mid 2005, and had to spend a bit of
time getting it working, I think that almost any brand new hardware
you buy will take a bit of playing around to get it working - atleast
until a few months later, when drivers have made it into the latest
releases of the distro you're using.

The advantage of buying a macbook is that plenty of others have the
exact same hardware as you, so there's howtos out there, and people
working on writing drivers.

With my laptop, a LG LW40, I have found a total of one webpage of a
person using a LW60, and one other person who reported a bug on
launchpad with a LW40. So having popular hardware is a definite plus.

That said, by the time I tried breezy (4moths after buying laptop),
most things worked, and with dapper, 99% of functionality is
equivalent of, or better than windoze combined with its LG-bloatware
(only thing that doesn't work is power off when shutting down - have
to hold down the power button).

I considered buying a macbook myself, to run ubuntu, but decided it
was too much hassle selling the old one. (if you're interested in
buying a 99% linux compatible, already installed winxp/ubuntu dapper
laptop, pentium m 1.7ghz, 512mb ram, wireless, 40gig hdd, mail me
offlist :P)

cheers,

Joel