Running an application through Ubuntu

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed Jun 7 11:48:47 BST 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 20:07, "nitin goel" <ngoel78 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Flinders Uni student studying IT. Under my project, I am developing an
> application. The requirement of the application is that it should run
> without any installation on user side. Since my application has lot of
> data, I waat to have use small applications.
>
> I have heard that with Linux, you can make a CD that can run without
> installation. Can I somehow, create my application in Linux and then burn
> it to a CD or DVD and it can run without any installation. Software, I
> might need is support for Java, some server mayy Apache or some XQuery
> processor.

You most certainly can. That is what free software [1] is all about :)

Software like mklivecd [2] allow you to create a LiveCD [3] containing the
software that you want. You should be careful of the legalities of
distributing the software in question. Anything you can find in the default
repositories of a distro like Debian or Ubuntu (like Apache) should be fine.
I believe that Sun's Java Runtime Environment recently gained a licence to
allow it to be distributed with GNU/Linux distros, but you'd be best off
verifying that.

[1] If you are unfamiliar with the true meaning of this term, see
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
[2] http://livecd.berlios.de/
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livecd

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"Because it's cool. It's like, "Yeah, been there done that - oh, yeah, I know
that bug." - I can understand that phenomenon sociologically, not
technically."
  - Bill Gates explaining why people complain about bugs,
		FOCUS Magazine, no. 43, 1995