WiFi Card Recommendations

Peter Schwenke peter at bluetoad.com.au
Tue Dec 5 00:14:42 GMT 2006

pgarrett at homemail.com.au wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Can someone recommend a locally available WiFi card (I'm after both PCI
> and PCMCIA versions) that will run natively in Ubuntu?
>
> I have used D-Link and Netgear cards successfully using ndiswrapper but it
> is causing irq conflicts on a new install on an old machine (a P3). I've
> tried most of the boot parameter work-arounds with no success. Also, I
> find a number of wardriving utils I want to try will only work with cards
> using native Linux drivers.
>
> I have checked the hardware lists on the ndiswrapper web site and Ubuntu
> forums but they mostly recommend cards or particular chipset versions I
> have been unable source in Oz.  Are there any "off the shelf" solutions?

I've used the NetGear WG-511T and NetGear WG-511U with success.  They
have the Atheros chipset and use the Mad WiFi driver.

You need to be careful with the WG511 (NB no T or U).  They change the
chipset whenever they feel like it.

That was with Breezy on a now dead laptop. My new laptop has built-in
Intel WiFi.

A good site for looking up wireless cards is

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/index.php

--
                                                              ...Peter