Dual boot installation.

Pete Brown pete at geekbuilt.com.au
Mon Dec 4 05:44:20 GMT 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 15:39, SMOK wrote:
> Hello Ubuntus,
>
> I am considering migrating from Windows XP to Ubuntu.
> My C hard-drive is nearly full.
> Can I simply buy another hard-drive, install Ubuntu on that new hard-drive
> and keep my original Windows XP hard-drive untouched? Is it possible to
> have both systems on the same machine?
> I've heard that it might be.

yes it is entirely possible.

just stick your new hard drive in and get a desktop cd and boot of that and
run the installer.
when you come to the choose the hard drive to install on pick the second one.
the installer will automatically detect your windows install and put it as a
boot option in grub.
you will have to install grub on the master boot record of your first disk
otherwise windows will boot and you wont be able too get to your ubuntu
install.

if you have a second computer and you need some guidance during the install
jump on the #ubuntu-au IRC channel irc.freenode.net and ask the guys for
help.

--
Peter Brown
Partner