Proposed speech to the South Australian Legislative Council by Family First.

martin fricke camelgrass at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 04:23:33 GMT 2006

> Free and Open Source software is being produced, as I speak, by
> developers all over the world – many of them in South Australia. The
> majority of these developers are volunteers, donating their time and
> energy to improve and give away free software. And it is free in every
> sense of the word – free from any cost, but also free in the sense
> that it can be used, copied, studied, modified, improved and
> redistributed with little or no restriction.

It may be a little misleading to make the generalization that free and
open-source software is free from any cost. There are generally no
licensing issues, but it doesn't mean it's always free to buy, support and
maintain.

I like the speech though.

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:57:56 +1000, Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
wrote:
> Last thing we need is publicity from right-wing Xtian nutjobs.  Guilt by
> association.  Yeesh!

Any publicity is good publicity. There are more powerful nutjobs (like the
present Australian government) that we should be more concerned with
rather than some
Family First member in SA parliament (although I also don't agree with
many of their conservative positions).