status of the free mailout

Pete Brown pete at geekbuilt.com.au
Mon Aug 14 07:57:40 BST 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 16:24, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sridhar Dhanapalan">
>
> > Have you tried approaching Canonical about this? It appears that you are
> > taking the heat off their Shipit service, and hence saving them money.
> > Being locally-based, you can probably deliver CDs domestically for a
> > cheaper rate than Canonical can achieve with shipping from the
> > Netherlands. From what I can see, it only makes sense for them to
> > reimburse you for your efforts.
>
> Canonical reps have said many times that they're interested in something
> like this, but only if it can be done in an economically sound way, with
> company-backed service level guarantees. As cool as community-distributed
> copies are, I don't think they meet either requirement (particularly with
> scale).

So if we had a businesses in most of the capital cities that can help with
this then we could put it in place?

I am part of a Kubuntu based business in Brisbane. We are small at the moment
but growing gradually.
I guess the big question is how much funding would these businesses need to
put forward to make this happen?

--
Peter Brown
Partner