Prank: Ubuntu English (US Fargo) Translators

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed Aug 2 13:10:45 BST 2006

A number of you may have received an e-mail titled "Launchpad: Your membership
status on team Ubuntu English (US Fargo) Translators was changed". The
ubuntu-l10n-en-gb and ubuntu-l10n-en-au teams were added as a prank to the
ubuntu-l10n-en-us-fargo team. Unfortunately, this is currently allowed by
Launchpad. The bug is chronicled here:

  https://launchpad.net/products/launchpad/+bug/53637

Unfortunately, this prank was not harmless. When I initially applied for a
ubuntu-l10n-eng mailing list, I was rejected because of our membership of
this group. Fortunately, after an objection from myself, the mail server
admin recognised the bug and granted us the list.

Following a discussion on #launchpad, I managed to have both the
ubuntu-l10n-en-gb and ubuntu-l10n-en-au teams removed from
ubuntu-l10n-en-us-fargo. However, there is currently nothing preventing it
from happening again.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

	Which came first, the language or the compiler?