suggestions for marketing....

Paul Schulz pschulz01 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 04:08:36 BST 2006

Hi Peter,

On 4/28/06, Peter baker <jellyware at gmail.com> wrote:

> the sending out of the install cd's has slowed down a bit lately.  I had a
> few people contact me from the post I put on the local wiki, and a few more
> from the bulletin board at my work.  nothing in the last week.  Seems like
> ubuntu will have a good presence at cebit in a couple of weeks.

I have 300 which I will be giving away in Adelaide Monday,Tuesday next
week at the Connecting Up 06 Conference... I'll let people know how it
goes..

> I have tried distributing ubuntu through the student assoc of my local
> university and was really surprised at the result.  I was contacted by their
> marketing manager when I attempted to post on the classified section of
> their website.  its ok to sell a computer, fine to flog a desk. but giving
> out open source software seems frowned apon.  I had my integrity grilled for
> attempting to give out software for free!  so much for university student
> associations promoting the interests of students!

What was the outcome? Are you still able to place your ad? Would an
informative  phonecall from someone at Linux Australia to the
marketing manager help? (I'm happy to raise it with them.)

> anyone got any good ideas for sharing the love?

Maybe we can encourage everyone to place an ad. in their local paper
(simultainiously, Australia wide).  I'd be interesed to see if it has
a similar response.. how was your ad worded?

Cheers,
Paul Schulz