[ubuntu-art] new theme

Ryan Prior ryanprior at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 17:05:36 UTC 2013

Hello Thomas,

That's not off-topic at all.

The short answer is given here:
http://worldofgnome.org/how-to-theme-gnome-3/

Basically, you download the pieces of the theme you'd like (off of websites
like deviantart and gnome-look, or shared with you via ubuntu-one by
artists, or however you like) and you use a tool like gnome-tweak-tool to
tell your system to use them.

If you want to develop your own original GTK3 theme, there's an overview at
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkThemes

It's technical (requires typing and learning some about how themes work,
not point-and-click) but it's not difficult.

We use CSS for our themes, and there are a ton of CSS tutorials for the web
if you Google for them. However, in our case CSS isn't styling a web page,
it's styling computer program interfaces: so we have some differences
documented in the howto above.

If you want to develop your own original icon theme, there's a detailed
discussion on Ask Ubuntu:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/47643/how-do-i-make-a-theme-from-scratch-for-unity

If you have questions or want help getting started you can ask here or on
other more specific mailing lists like the gnome-themes mailing list
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-themes-list