[ubuntu-art] possible light-themes/murrine bug, trying to find out who to contact

John Knight john at classiccitytelco.com
Tue Sep 11 00:58:50 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I've been trying to track down a bug in Thunderbird regarding scrollbars
using both Ambiance/Radiance themes not rendering correctly.  There is a
bug report currently open here that was originally for Thunderbird 14
but still exists in the newly released Thunderbird 15 package:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/1025935

I just posted comment #12 recently as I discovered this doesn't appear
to be a bug in Thunderbird at all but rather either Murrine (the gtk2
engine) and/or light-themes (whose package information says is
maintained by this mailing list).

To sum up my findings so far, Thunderbird running with Clearlooks (used
as Adwaita's gtk2 theme) does not have the problem (greyed out
scrollbars), so I think I've narrowed it down to Murrine or
light-themes.  I know you guys are definitely probably busy with other
things, but I would greatly appreciate any help one might be able to
offer me in an effort to make aware the proper maintainers of a possible
bug.

It's entirely a visual bug, not a security bug so I realize the priority
might be high but inconsistencies in the theme which affect core
applications used by business customers I believe may damage the ability
to fully convince people to fully adopt Ubuntu. I'm always trying to get
my customers to adopt Ubuntu on the desktop whenever appropriate as it
greatly reduces our support time as a small consultancy company.  This
bug is affecting two of our customers who are having trouble using the
scrollbars effectively as it renders in uniformly the same grey color
and the Ubuntu overlay scrollbars do not yet work for gtk2 applications.

Apologies in advance if this was the wrong list to contact.  Just trying
to help close a bug.

-John Knight
-Classic City Telco