[ubuntu-art] Help with usability issues etc.
Matthew Paul Thomas
mpt at canonical.com
Wed Jan 11 09:24:06 UTC 2012
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see your message until now, because
it was posted to the artwork list. (Ubuntu has other mailing lists for
usability <https://launchpad.net/~ayatana>, accessibility
desktop software in general
Kristina Charis wrote on 27/12/11 18:39:
> Hello everyone,
> Feel free to contact me if you need any help with Human Computer
> Interaction related issues, e.g. usability, accessibility, user
> experience etc. and I will be happy to help. I am a masters
> student in Human Computer Interaction, have been using Ubuntu for
> about 2 years.
If you would like to help out with design work, that would be excellent!
Here's a simple task to start off with: redesigning the Jockey tool.
Open System Settings. Under the "Hardware" section, choose "Additional
Drivers". You should see a window something like this:
Now, think of half a dozen ways to present this interface differently.
For example, as:
* its own panel inside System Settings (instead of a window)
* part of the "System Info" panel of System Settings (since it's about
* part of Ubuntu Software Center (since it's about installing/removing
software, specifically drivers)
* part of Update Manager (since installing a proprietary driver, like
installing updates, is something you may need to do shortly after
Identify benefits and disadvantages of each approach, and make a
Some questions you might consider when choosing a design:
* What should its title be? <http://launchpad.net/bugs/635640>
* If there is an additional driver available, how should an Ubuntu
user learn this automatically? <http://launchpad.net/bugs/617392>
* What should happen if the interface is invoked manually, when no
extra drivers are available? <http://launchpad.net/bugs/520871>
* How can people make an informed decision about whether to install a
* What should happen if there's no Internet connection when you try to
download a driver? <http://launchpad.net/bugs/299023>
* How should progress be shown? <http://launchpad.net/bugs/290242>
* What should happen if a driver fails to install?
* What should happen after a driver is installed or removed?
* Should searching for a printer driver use the same interface, or a
custom interface? <http://launchpad.net/bugs/596141>
If you're interested in this task, or if there's something else in
particular you'd like to work on, let me know.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the ubuntu-art