[ubuntu-art] I'm writing an essay on icon design - Looking for contacts

David Callé davidc at framli.eu
Thu May 5 08:00:19 UTC 2011

On jeu., 2011-05-05 at 17:15 +1000, Kate Tuts+ wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I work for Envato. I'm currently writing an essay about icons and I
> want to showcase contemporary designs. I have written about this topic
> in the past, but unfortunately I was Windows and Mac OS centric - I
> would like to fix this.
>
> I wasn't sure where to look for information regarding Ubuntu icon
> designers / guidelines. I would really like to find some people who
> worked on icons sets that I can interview for my essay.
>
> Any help would be great,
> Thanks

Hi Kate,

I'm not an icon designer, but I can point you to a few of them:
Matthieu James https://launchpad.net/~tiheum (Faenza icon theme)
Kenneth Wimer https://launchpad.net/~kwwii (Default Ubuntu icon themes)
Daniel Fore https://launchpad.net/~daniel-p-fore (Elementary icon theme)
Vishnoo Charan Reddy https://launchpad.net/~vish (Default Ubuntu icon
themes)

Some guidelines:
http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.0/hig-book.html#icons
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/HumanityIcons/Guidelines
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/BreatheIconSet/Development

Some of these links may be a bit dated, I'm sure other people on this
list will provide better ones.

Good luck with your essay.
David