[ubuntu-art] Dealing with issues and seeking advice

Leandro Gómez leo.telsen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 06:36:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Vishnoo <vish at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 19:30 -0500, coz DS wrote:
> >
> > Hey guys
> >
> >      Bad taste.. wrong timing...or just plain being an ass... the
> > links offered by jbaer came at  an inappropriate time.
> > Let the judging of the included wallpapers finish..then do what you
> > like... but official stuff needs to have a single place for
> > submissions.
> >
> >     I have really never heard any "harsh" criticisms of work.. if they
> > are bad pieces  and saying "these are bad"  is harsh then please more
> > harshness :)
> >  Quite frankly I can go to  gnome-look.org and download wallpapers
> > without worries, or create my own, so I am not clear on the
> > "explanation" given by him.
> >
> >    The private emails, which initially tried to  resolve this issue,
> > were a great idea,,, it failed,, I dont think private conversations
> > are needed any longer.
> >
> >   Also... people...please remember that NO ONE on the community art
> > team is going to have final say for ANY content that makes it into
> > Ubuntu,,, that is strictly Canonical's decision...but the
> > opportunity , this judging is giving the community, is one step closer
> > to the community art team becoming a formidable force in making final
> > decisions of Ubuntu's content. However, with this "major" glitch in
> > the process, we have taken several steps backwards, perhaps more!
> >    Imagine the disappointment and frustration that is going to arise
> > from those that submitted work to a "false"  site in hopes of their
> > pieces being included in Ubuntu release once they find out ... all too
> > late... that they have been mislead !
> >
> >     We all need to do our part in trying to talk with jbaer, other
> > than those that already have, to help him understand that his behavior
> > is not team oriented and a destructive path which only leads to people
> > leaving the group. We should also try to contact everyone that has
> > submitted work to his links, so they know their work will NOT be
> > considered.
> >
> >     I personally want to know why this decision... why these
> > misleading links ,, What the hell was he thinking!
> >
> >      Events like this, which compound the existing issues the group
> > has,, only pushes away any possibility of real recognition of the
> > community art team by canonical!
> >
> > "Banning"  him will only exacerbate the   situation.
> >
> >       welcomed or not...those are my thoughts on the issue.
> >

> > coz
>

> I'm +1 on this, exactly why us banning him is not going to help.
>
> John needs to explain his actions and course-correct his attitude.
> He needs to correct his behavior, or if he is not able to correct
> himself he needs to quit on his own.
>
> Someone else banning him wont help here, and might blow this 'silly
> drama' out of proportion

To me, this whole situation has already been blown out of proportion.

Really... it's a no brainer. If someone is threatening the team, what do you
do? Wait and see if the problem resolves itself or take action?

Banning a person is the last resource. If you have tried to resolve the
issue privately and failed, why don't you take it publicly? We can have a
meeting on IRC with John and the rest of the team and see if we can agree on
how to move forward. What do you think?

Cheers,