[ubuntu-art] Dealing with issues and seeking advice

Leandro Gómez leo.telsen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 23:32:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Vishnoo <vish at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 15:17 -0600, Leandro Gómez wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Vishnoo <vish at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >         On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 13:47 -0600, Leandro Gómez wrote:
> >         >
> >         > I don't like the way this is discussion is turning out.
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > Of course, one disruptive member can cause a lot of
> >         problems. People
> >         > get frustrated, they resign and cease contributing to the
> >         team.
> >         >

> >         People resigning is what Сергей mentioned as the issue that is
> >         frustrating him.
> >         And hence why I mention how *very* hard Thorsten and Martin
> >         tried to
> >         talk to John into being more part of the team effort instead
> >         of his
> >         disruptive behavior.
> >
> >         > But, honestly, do you really think the problems of this team
> >         can be
> >         > attributed to one single person's actions?
> >

> >         No, this team as other problems too and they need to be fixed
> >         as well.
> >

> > I agree. I've been on this team for four whole years and there's a lot
> > of things that needs to be fixed.
> >

> > If one member of the team is disruptive and causes a lot of problems,
> > I think it's time for the admin to moderate him/her on the list or ban
> > the person if the problem persists. Sadly, I'm not an admin, so I
> > can't do anything.
> >

> > Please, fix this so we can move on.
> >

> I wish it were as simple as just banning him!
> Sadly banning John from this mailing list alone does not solve the
> problems he creates.

Well, there's not much more we can do?

> He actively contacts a large number of artists 'privately' and asks them
> to take part in the existing contests, presenting himself as the
> representative of the Ubuntu artwork community , and grabs their
> interest.
> Until this part everything is fantastic, but beyond this is where things
> go completely wrong. He misdirects them to his private groups claiming
> those to be the place to participate.
> Why I never understood, but in his own words relying to the previous
> thread: " I set up an environment which would protect their
> contributions from the harsh criticism often found on this list. " !!!?
>
> IMO, he is acting like a Nigerian spam scammer, just robbing people of
> their hard work.
>
> I'm not sure where/how this behavior can be stopped.

You can't prevent people from creating private groups. The only thing we can
do is to improve our communication skills and keep people informed.

I think this is a clear example of what happens when you don't have
appointed leaders or official communication channels and that is -IMO- our
main problem. Not John, or Joseph, or Francesco. We need leadership and
direction.

Cheers,