[ubuntu-art] Artwork Team Logo

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Thu Sep 30 10:48:19 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 14:19 -0700, j_baer wrote:

> I would like to see an updated Artwork Team logo for the Wiki that could
> also serve as a badge on other sites (launchpad?).

> I suggest we start with a Wiki page to capture submissions and provide
> guidance to the effort.

Flat approach
=============

I'd like to try a flat approach, instead.

Everyone who wants to participate can put PNG files up on
http://www.foopics.com/
and post a link to the uploaded image here (replying to this mail).

Tools
=====

Start with pen or pencil on paper, don't hesitate to present rough
sketches.

Once you go to the computer, Inkscape is the preferred tool. In any
case, we will need an SVG file as final result.

Goals
=====

Focus on an idea/concept for a symbol, first. Ignore type, as we will
just set "Artwork Team" using the new Ubuntu font.

Primary goal is to express that this is about artwork/creativity.
Secondary that it is related to Ubuntu and derivatives (Kubuntu,
Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Lubuntu, ...).

One way to express the relation to Ubuntu is to pick up the basic
geometry of the Circle of Friends logo. But don't just modify it, rather
play with the circle divided by three or equilateral triangle concept.

Style
=====

Looking at the visual identity of Ubuntu as executed on
http://www.ubuntu.com/ we should prefer filled shapes and a 2-tone
approach (orange/white). However, we could consider another color than
orange and/or an extended palette (3 or 4 colors) for our own
sub-identity.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: