[ubuntu-art] What would you like to work on?

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio a.starr.b at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 22:13:54 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Vishnoo <vish at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 15:35 -0400, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:
>>
>> What would I not like to be doing? Also simple, being the sole
>> decision maker for what goes into the community-themes package or
>> other community artwork efforts.
>
> Yes! I'v noticed you havent been very comfortable being the gatekeeper.
>
> Hence, there is a theme TODO in Organize list :
> We need to set a clear deadline for when the themes need to be submitted
> and a deadline for review too
> <http://openetherpad.org/UbuntuArtwork>
>
> Now there is an addendum too, "-  [ Dont burden AndrewSB ]" ;-)

Well, it's not really a matter of burden. I certainly don't feel
overworked, but I think you know what I mean. I just want to be clear
on that so people won't be afraid ask me to do things for them...

> Traditionally, most of the community-themes use the murrine engine or
> engines which are in the default install.
> But, we have new themes coming out, like the Equinox, which use their
> own theme engine.
> How do we address that?
> Dont these new engines need to be first uploaded to universe with a
> needs-packaging bug? And then marking them as depends?
> How soon can those be addressed? Does the Feature freeze apply here?

Luckily, Equinox is already in Ubuntu (though only version 1.20):

https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk2-engines-equinox

But more generally, yes new engines have to be uploaded to universe
first and the theme package must declare a depends in debian/control.
And yes, feature freeze does apply.

Are there any other widely used gtk engines that aren't in Ubuntu yet?

- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio