[ubuntu-art] Solutions

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 21:28:58 BST 2010

Hey Art Team,

On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 23:16 +0530, Vishnoo wrote:
> Trim the list to contributors only, only those that post and
> > contribute regularly.

I would _highly_ advise against trimming a community, so long as the
silent majority are doing no harm to the work, it's better that they be
informed and able to jump into giving their 0.1% at the right time, then
shunned and never able to.

Don't cut off the long tail.

The problem with most communities being inactive is that there are not
the two kinds of projects which motivate people:

 1) Fun and very passive contribution which comes at random from
contributors. You can see this sort of project on the dA group where we
don't instruct or organise art to be made using ubuntu, we just
passively let people contribute to the galleries which have a simple and
light framework of rules.

2) Structured and focused projects. You'll need time limits, methods of
contribution which are split up effectively into chunks, you need some
education and most importantly you'll need about 3 people who will
contribute the majority of the work. You'll get about 100 people
contribution 45% in drabs, but they won't do anything without that %55
from the dedicated few.

These are just some thoughts based on my own experiences with
communities.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

P.S. We have a testbed ccHost for artworks and media pieces which might
be worth some attention as a location to upload content.
http://art.ubuntu-owl.org/ which has been experimented with.