[ubuntu-art] Ubiquity Slideshow

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 03:46:25 BST 2010

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
<jonathan at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi artwork/installer teams!
>
> I'm sure that the Ubuntu artwork team as well as the installer team is
> well aware that we're currently in UI freeze and that final freeze is
> quickly approaching!
>
> Currently, Ubiquity isn't wide enough to display the slideshow, and the
> user has to scroll to view the entire contents.
>
> I assumed that it's either a bug that will be fixed in Ubiquity, or that
> there will be a new slideshow designed to fit into the new installer size.
>
> I looked at the slides posted[2] by Dylan McCall linked from his blog
> post[3], and those don't fit either.
>
> It would be great if there could be some update with the plans for
> Ubiquity and the slideshow. If the window will indeed stay smaller, then
> I can at least still finish the Edubuntu slideshow before final freeze,
> this of course affects other derivatives that uses the GTK front-end
> such as mythbuntu and ubuntu-studio as well.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

For some reason it didn't occur to me that Ubiquity's redesign applied
under the other derivatives as well, but now you mention it, uhh… eek!
If you feel you can get it fitting into the new dimensions that's
great. I think we can squeeze most of these into shape. In the ugliest
case, maybe Ubiquity could resize to fit the slideshow? There's a
config file for each one stating the ideal width and height.

Thanks for letting me know my dimensions are wrong. It lines up with
the mockup I used so I'll have to poke around for that one, but it can
always wait a little. Top priority is the strings.

I will keep you posted on this.

Dylan