[ubuntu-art] Improving What We Do!

John Baer baerjj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 03:06:46 BST 2010

Hello everyone,

I was reading Mark Shuttleworth's blog about the 10.10 release and he makes
several good comments about community.

"Building a free OS involves an extraordinary diversity of skills, and
what’s harder is that it requires merging the contributions from so many
diverse disciplines and art forms. And yet, looking around the community, we
seem to have found patterns for coordination and collaboration that buffer
the natural gaps between all the different kinds of activities that go on."

My observation of the Art Team is there is room for improvement and turning
things around in a positive manner may not be as hard as it appears.
Fundamentally we lack a process for success or some may argue we simply lack
a process.

I advocate we change the way we contribute to the community by adopting the
following three (3) step process.

  1. Initiate
  2. Construct/build
  3. Release

The goal is to provide quality artwork in a manner which adds value to the
Ubuntu community.

* The term "Ubuntu community" also includes the derivatives.

The objective is to use a flexible process which encourages inclusion,
provides recognition of effort, and facilitates collaboration to achieve the
desired result.

I believe the above statements support the intent of Mark's message as
stated in his blog.

To begin the dialog and to move this effort along I created a Wiki page
here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Blueprint

Please review and comment on the list or on the Wiki. If you comment the
Wiki do so in a manner which preserves content. :)

It is important to note for this process or any other process to work we
need stake holder buy-in. Stake holders in this context would include the
Canonical Design team, Art Team members, and the greater Ubuntu Community at
large.

My assumption is we really don't need to build anything, just use the tools
available. For example use the Art Team Launchpad Blueprint tool as our
 “job queue”.

Martin you stated in a post on 10/07 your intent to attend UDS. Sadly I can
not join you but I and others would like to contribute to discussions in
some other manner. I share the same time zone as UDS but I am generally
unavailable during the day.

Perhaps some impromptu evening meetings on the IRC would be beneficial. :)

Thoughts?

John