[ubuntu-art] Sites and Duplication

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 21:21:28 BST 2010

Hey folks,

I'll be at UDS in Orlando so if any of you will be there, do come and
see me and we can talk more about this issue.

We have a problem in our community of a great deal of duplication, each
solution focuses on a small slice and as such there is lots of
functionality which should be shared but isn't. Here is what I know
about:

-- Official Websites --

 * Ubuntu Art Wikipage - Informational
 * Spread Ubuntu - Store of artworks, needs work
 * Ubuntu Look - Store of themes, wallpapers etc
 * Ubuntu Owl Art - Experimental ccHost build for learning materials.

-- Community Outreach --

 * Ubuntu Flickr Group
 * Ubuntu Artists deviantArt group

-- Related Programs --

* Ubuntu Wallpapers Contest Wikipage
* Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase

If you know things I'm missing from this list, let me know.

So basically I'd like to reduce the duplication of effort in the
official websites. This would mean cutting down on sites and focusing on
improving the functionality of a single site to make sure it can do the
majority of handling media.

The spread ubuntu website seems to be the most successful in terms of
functionality and visibility. It's focus is on providing advertising
materials, but there is no reason it can't be expanded to include
partial materials and software art too (wallpapers, themes etc). It's
PHP so that counts against it, but then most of these websites are PHP
too so it's a devil of a thing in all cases because we can't share code
with the loco directory or other python based ubuntu sites.

Thoughts?

Martin,