[ubuntu-art] Proposal discussion on xubuntu wallpaper/artwork.

Saleel Velankar svelanka at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 22:42:58 GMT 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de> wrote:

> Actually, I wouldn't rule out literal takes on these subject matters.

Literal takes are harder than abstract material; also it may conflict with
desktop icon text and so on. Unless the default wall is a photo, I cant put
too much hope in this.

> A monotone color scheme as such sends a message, too. One of uniformity,
> stableness, eventually even shyness, indecision and paranoia. Most
> likely not energy, movement, diversity ...
>
> Ooh, I did not think about that. One strength of a monotone(ish) color
scheme, is that it keeps the entries closer together and therefore a bit
easier to judge/compare. Also it makes it (subjective alert) a bit easier
since color coordination/ composition is hard in wallpapers.

Because a single option does not make people pause and wonder what to
> choose ;) The ShareAlike aspect is just nice to have for keeping
> derivatives in
> the family, more GPL-like.

Fair enough. btw linux.com had an interesting article about this:
http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/119212

> To not include other colors would be a problem. For wallpapers, I would
> even just define the colors given by panel and windows and require that
> wallpapers have to go well with them (icons might play a role in this
> considerations, too).
>

> >>Since the windows and background and panels in Xfce can all be themed
> >>separately, this complicates it. Even when using the default Albatross
> >>theme in Lucid 10.04, the window borders and panels were black, but the
> >>window backgrounds were very light, since that is more difficult to
> >>change from the Xfce defaults and requires extensive gtk theme changes.

 Well this is currently the same situation in kde, where plasma and oxygen
can be vastly different thematically. Lets just make sure that the wallpaper
works well with the default panel background and the default desktop icons.
--
Saleel