[ubuntu-art] Proposal discussion on xubuntu wallpaper/artwork.

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Nov 24 21:07:08 GMT 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 15:38 -0500, Saleel Velankar wrote:
> You say the next step is abstracting colors and shapes. Shapes I can
> see how, but how do we know which colors to restrict? How do we judge
> the value tritone color sheme vs. a monotone one , for example. Sorry
> if this is super obvious, but I'm still learning.

Actually, I wouldn't rule out literal takes on these subject matters.

A monotone color scheme as such sends a message, too. One of uniformity,
stableness, eventually even shyness, indecision and paranoia. Most
likely not energy, movement, diversity ...

I'm still learning, too.

> Why only by-sa? doesnt cc-by work as well?

Because a single option does not make people pause and wonder what to
choose ;)

The ShareAlike aspect is just nice to have for keeping derivatives in
the family, more GPL-like.

> @Charlie
> Currently the color pallete is pretty limited to tones of 1 color,
> would the
> inclusion of other colors be a problem?

To not include other colors would be a problem. For wallpapers, I would
even just define the colors given by panel and windows and require that
wallpapers have to go well with them (icons might play a role in this
considerations, too).

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: