[ubuntu-art] Proposal discussion on xubuntu wallpaper/artwork.

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Nov 24 19:21:47 GMT 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 10:59 -0700, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

>  Xubuntu would like to change the perception of only being for old and
>  slow computers to being excellent for any hardware. According to the
>  Xubuntu Strategy Document, it should perform well on any hardware. It
>  should require and use fewer resources than Ubuntu, and is built with
>  the Xfce desktop environment. Traditionally, it has used shades of
>  blue and the Xfce mascot, a mouse, to represent itself.

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument

The central questions are the reason of existence of Xubuntu and what
sets it apart from other offerings. Especially compared to Ubuntu or
Xfce using distributions.

For our job here, the only useful thing I see in the document is the
focus on performance. An outcome of using fewer resources should be
better performance and making high performance part of the message will
avoid the "only for old hardware" fallacy.

You don't dare to focus on any particular group of users. I think you
should, as there are so many for everything and everyone distributions
out there. Anyway, do you know about tendencies in the actual group of
Xubuntu users?

Ok, so we want to express high performance. But not performance by brute
force, no big machines, but rather by making the most of what you get,
by being small and light. Associations:
* Cheetah
* Swallow
* Antelope
* Sailing
* Dart
* Ultra-light planes and gliders
* Marathon runners
* Cars like the Ariel Atom http://www.arielatom.com/

Some of these could be abstracted to shapes and colors.

> There were questions and comments about the license. It seems the
> wording is too ambiguous. One of the questions raised was "what
> Creative Commons license must submissions adhere to?". Can we define
> that better?

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0:

Consider GPL for themes

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: