[ubuntu-art] Hi! Introduction

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Mon May 17 13:28:46 BST 2010

Welcome Abhijith, Welcome Nsovo Jaremiah!

You might already know or section of the wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork

There's a design team of full-time professionals working at Canonical.
The default theme and wallpaper, among other things is their work. I'm
putting this first, as it seem a lot of people lose interest once they
realize that the default presentation is pretty much off-limits for the
community.

One exception has been the Hardy Heron wallpaper, but it doesn't seem
likely to happen again, as that was before most of the current team had
been hired.

Another exception is the Humanity icon set, as it got adopted by Ubuntu.
Get in contact with vish on IRC, #ubuntu-artwork, if you think you can
and would like to contribute there.

Otherwise it's all about _additional_ artwork, mainly wallpapers and
themes.

If you want to get into theming, I guess the only working approach there
is starting with an existing theme to tweak it, filling holes in
documentation by trial & error. Other on this list could provide more
insight, perhaps.

There's the Flickr wallpaper group:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ubuntu-artwork

http://spreadubuntu.neomenlo.org/ collects and offers material like
posters and brochures.

Ubuntu-artists group on Deviantart:
http://ubuntu-artists.deviantart.com/
Since the Flickr pool is mainly being filled with photos, there are
plans to collect illustrative wallpapers here in future.

Don't hesitate to ask questions referring to any of these or about
processes, tools and technique or whatever else may come to your mind.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/