[ubuntu-art] Would like to help out

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue May 4 14:05:56 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 19:17 -0400, Kevin Kirsche wrote:
> I've subscribed to
> the mailing list for awhile but never really understood how it all
> works. I was hoping that I would be able to actively contribute to
> Ubuntu. I was hoping that those here would be able to help me with
> this goal and explain what I should do to help. I am still in college,
> and as such still learning, for this reason also, I think that helping
> with a project like this can help me to push myself and learn more.
> Portfolio's can be seen either at http://www.razerdesign.com or
> http://r4z3r.designerscouch.org/

Hi Kevin!

That you don't understand how it all works could be blamed on the fact
that there simply isn't much actually happening here ;)

As community member, one could work on additional desktop themes, but
that's a world of frustrating limitations and appears rather opaque. I
guess the only working approach there is starting with an existing theme
to tweak it, filling holes in documentation by trial & error.

There's the Flickr wallpaper group:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ubuntu-artwork
That's pretty straightforward. Too many blurry photos, lacking in
composition there; some competent graphic design would be a great
addition.

If you would like to work on icons, you should chat with Vish on IRC,
#ubuntu-artwork (just ask, if you need further instructions).

http://spreadubuntu.neomenlo.org/ collects and offers material like
posters and brochures. Could benefit much from a trained designer.

razerdesign.com itself convinces me that you could do a good job on some
Ubuntu related webdesign. But you should not pick one and just design
away. First you should contact whoever is responsible to see if they
would consider a new design and if and how you can work with them.

I think https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ needs a new theme, especially now with
the new visual identity. I don't know if there's work under way already,
if there are at least plans. But we can find out, if you are interested.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ also needs a new theme. The brainstorm
logo/header and the icons on http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/tour/ are my
work. I already have a rather obvious idea for a new logo/header
matching the new identity, but maybe you will come up with something
better. Wouldn't mind to see those icons replaced with something that
works better with the other ones or ideally a complete new set for the
site. I worked with the guy that developed the site, initially. Don't
know who's in charge now, but I can ask him. Once again, if you are
interested.

Maybe others could suggest other Ubuntu related websites that might be
ready for a face-lift?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: