[ubuntu-art] Mark Shuttleworth's recent post on windicators

Chris Tooley euxneks at gmail.com
Tue May 4 00:12:51 BST 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Mark Curtis <merkinman at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Not as far as I'm concerned.
> Why couldn't the controls have stayed where they were and the "Windicators"
> put to the left of it? I mean to the immediate left, but on the right hand
> side.
>
> Look up at the top bar, the indicator applet isn't it the extreme right, the
> shutdown icon is.
> For the consistency the Windicator applet shouldn't be the extreme right the
> shutdown (ie close) button should be

I'm not saying I agree with it, just that this is probably the reason
why they've moved the windows controls by default to the left -
perhaps they are attempting to redefine how we interact with a window
decorator...?  I do like the idea of windicators though. :) Excited to
see how this might be adopted.

I've changed my window controls back to the right hand side after
upgrading to lucid by the way. I couldn't get used to them being on
the left hand side - even though I use a Mac at work! :P  How's that
for weird. I don't associate closing the application with decorations
on the left.